Thursday, June 19, 2014

Books to Read: Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

I do not believe that I have done a proper review of this book.
So, I quickly skimmed over it, because I've read it twice and that's all I needed to do to remind myself of some of the key things in the plot.

It's about a girl named Opal who gets a pet dog.
. . .
Were you expecting more?

Kate DiCamillo does not write to take you on a wild reading adventure. She writes to let you catch a glimpse into other people's lives, and she shows you that some heroes can be the most ordinary people or things.

Did this book have a plot? Sure. I'm feeling generous. A girl learns how to deal with the perils of a first world life through the companionship of a dog.

Anyway, there are some specific things I would like to talk about now.
  • Kate DiCamillo: stop taking away all of the parents. I made a rant about dead or missing parents in books here: http://bookahooligans.blogspot.com/2014/05/dead-parents-in-books-rant.html I understand that many kids have divorced parents and that they have to go to one parent's house on the weekends and another on the weekday. I understand that some kids do have to live with one of their parents because the other died or left. And I know that a very small percentage of children have to stay with their grandparents or something because both of their parents have died. And there's orphans, too. But there seems to be a trend in Kate DiCamillo's books. The Tiger Rising: both of the protagonists have dead/missing (I forgot, to be quite honest) parents, and I suppose the tiger is an orphan. That doesn't really count, though, because humans are superior and therefore we use other words to describe the relationship with tiger families and oh no I'm travelling into the land of rant . . . In The Magician's Elephant, the main character is basically an orphan. I think he lives with his uncle(?) who is training him to be a soldier. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane: It's a china rabbit, so I kind of discussed how it doesn't necessarily make sense to make these connections before I travelled to the land of rant. But it's basically about a china rabbit that loses his beloved guardians quite frequently. And Because of Winn-Dixie: the mom left. TOTALLY DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING REAL SHOCKER KATE.
  • I can't be the only one who learned the word "melancholy" from this book.
  • Kate DiCamillo does one thing really well: she gives her characters lives. In a lot of fantasy books that I read, it seems like most of the characters didn't exist before I started reading. The author never says anything about their past, you know, besides the fact that their parents died, because that happens in every book. But Kate DiCamillo gives her characters quirks and stories. Miss Franny got War and Peace stolen by a bear. Her great-grandfather invented the Littmus Lozenge, which apparently tastes like an emotion. Amanda Wilkinson's brother died, which made her much more introverted and afraid to get attached to people, I suppose. And all of the other characters, like Otis and Gloria and the Dewberry boys come together in the end and it's beautiful. This book was beautiful.
  • The narrator sounds like a kid. I always can respect it when an author does proper narration.
  • And dogs are cute, I suppose. (I actually am more of a cat person, because cats are more introverted and I feel like we have some sort of understanding don't judge me.)
Anyway, this book will take you two hours at most to read. That brings me to another point that I really didn't want to knock the author for, but the text is like, 2 inches from the bottom of the page, the book itself is probably about 8 inches, there's massive spacing between the sentences, the text is big, and the book is still only 182 pages long. I'm a bit of a tree hugger, but if the publishers were to make the text smaller, put less spacing between the words, and maybe fit more words onto the page, then the book would be shorter and a lot of paper would be saved. In one respect, it makes the book seem like an easy read and possibly makes it less intimidating for children to pick up the book, so that's all just marketing, but . . . trees, man.

Sorry. That post made no sense. Anyway, read Because of Winn-Dixie. If you have, let's discuss in the comments below. There's no need to be shy. Take advantage of the anonymity of the internet and engage me in conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment