Monday, May 12, 2014

Dead Parents in Books Rant

At the end of this post: http://bookahooligans.blogspot.com/2014/05/i-have-problem.html I said that I would make a rant about dead parents in books, because it's become very cliché. I think it's supposed to make you sympathetic towards the character, but it's like "Stop feeling sorry for yourself and join the club, Harry." So, here I am.
****BY THE WAY, there are spoilers below. I'll cover up the ones that are spoilers, so don't worry.
However, this post is about parents dying, but there are usually two parents, so I'll leave it a mystery.
  1. Harry Potter's parents died. However, it wasn't just to make you feel sad for Harry. JK Rowling did weave his parents' deaths into the plot.
  2. The Hunger Games: Katniss Everdeen's dad died in a mining accident. Of course.
  3. Divergent: Both of Tris's parents died on the same day to protect her. Go figure.'
  4. The Invention of Hugo Cabret: Hugo's dad died, but that was a major part of the plot.
  5. I was about to say Percy Jackson when I remembered that his dad is a powerful Greek god . . . but I'm sure that someone in that series has a dead parent.
  6. In Wonderstruck, Ben's mom is dead.
  7. In The Book Thief, either Liesel's mom died or her dad died, or both. You think that because the book is narrated by death I would remember who.
  8. In Bud Not Buddy, his mom is dead. However, that was basically the plot.
  9. In the Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole series: Soren's parents are confirmed dead by book three, if the whole thing about the scrooms was not just a hallucination.
  10. In Kendra Kandlestar--yes, it's as cheesy and stereotypical as it sounds--nearly her entire family is dead.
  11. I gotta mention A Series of Unfortunate Events. Yeah, it was the plot, but the whole series was filled with so much tragedy it was almost funny. Whenever something bad happened to the Baudelaires, I didn't think "No! How can the author do this to us?" I thought "Ha ha. There goes Lemony Snicket, destroying the happiness of children everywhere."
  12. The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
  13. The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
  14. Because of Winn-Dixie . . . . . . . by KATE-FREAKING-DICAMILLO
  15. The Kane Chronicles
  16. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, which I actually haven't finished so some freaky zombie stuff could have gone down and I don't know
Those are only the ones I have read and remembered the parents died in. I will be adding more to this list over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment