Saturday, June 21, 2014

Expressing my love for local bookstores

There's this local bookstore that I go to (but I won't go to for a while because I'm on a book buying ban *sobs*) and I absolutely love it. I realized that I like local bookstores altogether. I'm all for supporting Barnes and Noble, because it is the last major book chain. Seriously. We can NOT have another Borders incident.
But, I do prefer local bookstores. At least my local bookstore, and I'll tell you why.
  • Barnes and Noble is like Starbucks. Actually, there's a Starbucks inside of most Barnes and Nobles. But when you go to Starbucks, it's like "Hi, I'll have a caramel mocha chocolate frappadappachino" and then the person behind the counter says "Okay, that'll be 4 dollars" and they barely look at you and they call you up, spell your name wrong, and then you sit in some place that has such a corporate feel, surrounded by people you have never met who sit with their laptops and type in the most pretentious way possible. Local bookstores are like the coffee places you can't even remember the names of. You go in, the people working there smile, they remember you, order your frappadappachino for three dollars, they get it just the way you like it, and when you sit down to drink, you find yourself in some sort of amazing coffee community full of people who like coffee. I like local bookstores for the vibe.
  • The people working at local bookstores LOVE books. A lot of the times at Barnes and Noble, I'll see some person there who doesn't seem the slightest bit interested in books. But at local bookstores, there are usually the same people working there, and they are bookworms. The workers at my local bookstore actually order the books they want to read.
  • The workers tell you what they think about the books that you're buying. Most of the time, they just gush over what you're buying and tell you about how much they loved the book, and I love that, because it's so cool to meet people who are as addicted to reading as I am.
  • Store credit.
  • Lastly, it's a local bookstore. You have to support your local bookstores, because the book business has been dying, but it is slowly regaining its strength. Together, we can keep Barnes and Noble and local bookstores in business.
Well, that's all I really had to say.
I love physical books and physical bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment