Saturday, May 10, 2014

Dystopiathon: The Giver by Lois Lowry

**To view spoilers, drag your mouse over the empty space between"<SPOILER>...<SPOILER>"

You can't have a dystopian marathon without The Giver.
For those of you who don't know, The Giver is the first in a series. The second book is Gathering Blue, the third book is Messenger, and the final book is Son. I tried to read Gathering Blue, but I could not stomach more than 70 boring pages.
However, The Giver is an awesome book. It was so interesting and the society was so cool and intriguing. The thing about The Giver is that the society appears to be utopian, but <SPOILER> it's not. <SPOILER> Basically, it's about a boy named Jonas who lives in a really cool society. When everyone becomes a Twelve, they got jobs in the society. When Jonas becomes a Twelve, he gets an interesting job. He becomes the Receiver of Memory. I want you to read the book to find out what that is, because it's SO, SO good.
This book is so good, I highly, highly recommend it.

<MASSIVE SPOILERS> The Giver was . . . so good. The world was so amazing that when the author was just describing everything, I was enthralled.
The Giver changed my perspective on everything. I became thankful for colors and diversity and pain and freedom. I love when a book has the power to do that.
I devoured the book as soon as Jonas discovered what Release was. At first, I thought that it was death to, but the book convinced me that these elders and young children were actually going through some sort of door to another society.
I did NOT like the ending. There was TOO much room for interpretation. Lois Lowry: you need to finish your thoughts. That was a cheap way to end the book. I felt gypped. I'm not going to read the rest of the series for now, so I don't know if there's any more elaboration about what happened. Other than that, loved the book. <MASSIVE SPOILERS>

No comments:

Post a Comment