Saturday, May 10, 2014

Dystopiathon: Divergent by Veronica Roth

**To view spoilers, drag your mouse over the empty space between"<SPOILER>...<SPOILER>"
Divergent is one of the newer dystopian novels, and it's the first in the Divergent trilogy. Almost everyone has read it now, but for those of you who haven't, it's about a girl named Beatrice who lives in futuristic Chicago. Her society is divided into five factions: Amity (the kind), Erudite (the intelligent), Dauntless (the brave), Candor (the honest), and Abnegation (the selfless.) Beatrice was born into Abnegation. When everyone turns 16, they take this aptitude test to see which faction they are best suited for. Because, once they turn 16, they got to choose which faction they want to live in for the rest of their lives. Beatrice takes the test and her results as inconclusive. She doesn't fit into a certain faction. She's told she's divergent, and that divergence is dangerous. When the day comes to choose her faction, she chooses dauntless and goes through an insane initiation process. It's a really entertaining book. I didn't learn any morals from it or anything, but it was intriguing and I recommend it.
Also, there are no love triangles. Yay!
Overall, it was a really good book and I recommend it. It was definitely not my favorite book, but I don't regret reading it.

<MASSIVE SPOILERS! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!> Well, this was . . . a book. I am honestly not crazy about this book. It was entertaining, as I said, but I hate romance novels, and there was a lot of romance in this book. Also, when I was first reading the book, I thought that Tobias was 30, so instead of squealing with delight at these people falling in love with each other, I was cringing at the pedophilia. But it's alright because Tobias is 18.
I don't feel like many of the characters in this book were likable. Tris was awesome, and Tobias was kind of okay, but I don't feel like they were people I would want to have conversations with.
I love when everything clicks in a book. I love when a mystery begins to form and the author slowly reveals everything, and you solve the mystery just before the author confirms it. That happened to me when I found out that Four was Tobias, and it was an amazing moment.
One area that I think the author failed in this book was that she didn't make Will an important enough character. When Tris shot him and freaked out, I didn't even know which character she had killed. The love between him and Christina wasn't very apparent, it seemed much more like they were just dating. To me, Will wasn't an important enough character, and that was REALLY obvious in the movie. So, when Tris killed him, I felt nothing.
I feel like when Tris's parents died, there wasn't quite enough emotion. When her mom died, I felt it a lot more than when her dad died. When her dad died, it was just like . . . meh.
Overall, it was an interesting book. But it's not my favorite. <SPOILERS>

No comments:

Post a Comment