Saturday, May 3, 2014

Books to Read: Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

So, this was everybody's required reading for fifth or sixth grade. Because it was quite a while ago for me, this review won't have any spoilers.

Basically, it's about a kid named Bud (and don't you DARE call him Buddy) who has no parents, and he's on the run. His mom died, but he thinks she left a clue about who his dad is.

Let's just talk about why this is a great book.
  • It sounds like it was written by this kid. It didn't feel like an award-winning author was telling a story. It felt like you were having a long conversation with Bud about his life.
  • It's historical fiction, so I got to learn a little during this book. Yay!
  • It was powerfully told. It's not like "I walked to the store and bought bread." It was like "I MARCHED OVER TO THAT STORE AND I WANTED BREAD, SO I GOT IT!" I hope that made sense.
  • There's a little bit of mystery to it, so that's also a plus.
  • It's just overall a great book that I highly recommend. Look at those medals. This book was deserving of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment