Saturday, May 3, 2014

Books to Burn: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

I'm not going to sugarcoat it. I want to literally burn this book.
This book has gotten a lot of positive reviews on goodreads, and it has a medal, and people genuinely think it's the best book ever. I personally don't think so.

I don't feel like it had a plot. I feel like the entire book was a plot hole.

The word play made it hard to understand. You had to rethink everything in the book, and that means that you can interpret it in many different ways. Maybe I'm not smart, but the way I interpreted it, it had no plot.

When this was assigned to me for fifth grade reading, I was excited. "Phantom! It'll be a scary story then!" I was really let down when I learned that it was about a kid named Milo who was just really bored.


Here's my rewriting of the story:

A kid named Milo is really bored, then he gets a magic car which takes him to a magic land. The magic land isn't perfect, so due to some stupid rules and stubborn characters, he has to go on a meaningless quest that honestly should have been shorter. Then Milo somehow finds out the meaning of life in the last ten pages so that the reader doesn't feel gypped. The end.

I would burn this book, but I would feel sorry for the flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment