Saturday, May 3, 2014

Book Talks: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

**To view spoilers, drag your mouse over the empty space between"<SPOILER>...<SPOILER>"
The Fault in Our Stars is a fiction book by John Green about this girl named Hazel who has cancer and falls in love with someone else who has cancer. It sounds like a simple, or maybe even cheesy book, but it's not. It's beautifully written, funny, it will make you laugh, smile, and choke up. I highly recommend it.

<MASSIVE SPOILERS/THINGS YOU WOULD ONLY UNDERSTAND IF YOU READ THE BOOK>
So, Augustus dies. Yeah, he had cancer, but I thought that he was okay. (No pun intended) I thought he was healthy. Then he dies. Perfect. I actually didn't cry, because his death was kind of slow, and I expected it. However, John Green did kind of shove in the knife and twist it around a little during the last ten pages. (John Green: "Oh? You like this character? Let me just murder him and show you how unfair life is.")
Peter Van Houten is officially one of the most annoying characters I have ever read. (Taking the top spots on that list are Professor Umbridge and nearly every character Lemony Snicket has ever written)
Did anyone else just burst into laughter during the part about the lonely. vaguely pedophilic swingset seeking the butts of children? Because I did.
Also, why are all of the characters so awesome? I find that sometimes authors only talk about the strengths and weaknesses of their characters, but John Green did a great job of giving them strange quirks. Like Hazel's "British" friend.
Can I just say that the writing was friggin' beautiful? It was beautiful. I devoured the book in two days. What about you? How did you like it? Comment below, and PLEASE avoid using spoilers.
<MASSIVE SPOILERS/THINGS YOU WOULD ONLY UNDERSTAND IF YOU READ THE BOOK>

All in all, an awesome book.

No comments:

Post a Comment