Friday, May 9, 2014

Expanding my Reading

I have a confession. My reading barely goes beyond the YA dystopias narrated by strong, female leads. It just dawned on me that I'm basically reading the same thing in a different setting, over and over again.
I have a plan to expand my reading. I want to be able to say that I've read books of many different genres and I want to be able to tell you guys all about them.

The first book I want to read is Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai. I took a brief skim through the pages and thought it would be a quick, easy read. It looked interesting and I've heard pretty good things about it, and I plan to check it out once my library opens again.









Call me crazy, but I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee yet, and I hope to be able to tackle it this summer. I don't want to pull apart every sentence of this book. I just want to read it and interpret it my way. I just want to read it and enjoy it.








I have already bought this book and I am excited to start it. It's The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It looks very interesting and I also want to see the movie, and I've heard such amazing things about it.









I read the first 15 pages Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick a few years ago after I finished taking a test at my school library. I loved the Invention of Hugo Cabret and I wanted to see more of Brian Selznick's work, so I can't wait to start this one. I also really appreciate books with pictures, because I feel like if they are executed properly, they can really add a whole new layer to the story.






I have had my eye on this book for quite some time now. It's Panic by Lauren Oliver. I heard that it is really exciting and the plot sounds interesting, and I have not been spoiled yet, so I am looking forward to it. While it's not much different from what I usually read, I feel like it's interesting and different enough to count as expanding my reading.








Lastly, I want to read Anne Frank's diary. To me, it actually feels kind of sick to read her diary because it's an invasion of her privacy, but I heard that it's really powerful and I've been getting into memoir-type books lately.











Well, I'm trying to break out of the world of YA dystopia. I want to read some LITERATURE. Though, I do enjoy my YA. (Not sure if you guys have read The Darkest Minds yet, but I am currently reading it and I'm absolutely in love with it,)
So, hopefully I'll be able to tell you guys about these. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment