Monday, May 5, 2014

Book Talks: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

**To view spoilers, drag your mouse over the empty space between"<SPOILER>...<SPOILER>"

K. Rick Riordan wrote this book. Yes, the guy who wrote the freaking PERCY JACKSON series, one of my favorite series of all time.
I didn't like this book.
It was far too long, and I think that is due to the multiple points of view. It didn't make me laugh. It didn't make me cry. It didn't make me angry. It didn't make me happy. It made me bored. Well, it didn't even bore me. This book gave me no emotion. As much as Rick Riordan tried to get me attached to the characters, I felt nothing. Yeah, the characters had personality, sad stories, an interesting lives, but I would have read the sentence "Sadie and Carter tragically die" with the same emotion as "Janet tied her shoes."
However, the writing was funny and interesting, the premise was cool, so why did I not like this book?
My expectations were not met. Rick, it's a terrible thing, but unless you write perfect books with lovable, quirky, and imperfect characters that I feel the need to look at fan made pictures on the internet of them for hours, I will feel nothing about any of your writing.

For those of you who are reading the book, let me show you my personal thoughts on the book.

Page number              My personal thoughts

0-50                           Hey, this is a pretty cool idea. It's only the first page and this book has already hooked me in!

51-100                       Great. Now that I have an idea of what this book is going to be about and that all of the foreshadowing is out of the way and I know who the characters are now, we can kill stuff, right?

101-250                    Oh. There's more foreshadowing and more characters? That's okay, I guess. It'll speed up soon.     

251-400                    Okay . . . things are happening now. Okay. It's not that entertaining. Let's see . . . typical Rick Riordan sarcasm, gods being portrayed in a way much different than how history describes them, more Egyptian stuff, something that I think is supposed to be sad but isn't . . . I miss Leo. And I miss Annabeth and Percy, and even Jason.

400-the end              Um . . . what? Seriously? That's all? Really? Zia, you could have just told them earlier. Was that necessary? People could have not died, but you insisted on these children learning and finding their own path. Oh. Oh, I see how it is. I freaking see how it is, Zia. <SPOILER> For those of you who are confused and have read the book, I'm referring to when Zia was like "I cannot tell you Set's secret name now. The time is not right." Then when they're about to die, Zia just says, "By the way, his secret name is Evil Day. Umm . . . you can go stop him from taking over the world now." If Zia had said it sooner, Sadie could have just walked into the pyramid and have been like "Right, Evil Day. You answer to me now, so let my father go." But, for the sake of lengthening the plot, that didn't happen. That's my main problem with the book. Also, Zia was a shabti, but how did a shabti know the secret name, which is super confidential, of one of the most powerful and dangerous gods? <SPOILER>

I'm probably going to read the next book, but it's not top priority right now.
           


No comments:

Post a Comment